Saturday, April 21, 2012

I Love What I Do

When I was young, I dreamt of putting on a large brown hat, walking shorts and trekking boots for work --- I wanted to become an archaeologist so badly and discover the wonders of the ancient world. But my mom was greatly opposed to this idea, she did not fully understand that desire and love I had for history. In her defense, though, I agree that there are few Filipino archaeologists who are successful in this line of work and to state the obvious, archaeologists are hard workers who do not yield an average to above average compensation. My mom had a point and I immediately understood that being an archaeologist is just that dream job I will never get to do, sigh!

Okay, if being that won't do then I shall become a surgeon. It is costly but my parents were not against the idea of having a doctor in the family. A plus point for me! After high school, I was on the verge of making the biggest decision that would pave my way through life: Pre-Medicine. So, should I choose Nursing or Occupational Therapy?

Almost 7 years have passed and I am currently working in one of the most recognized 300-bed capacity multi specialty hospitals in the region with accreditation from both local and international councils, including the JCI. I work in a theater that has 10 operating rooms, an average of 40 to 45 scheduled surgeries a day and a 10-bed Recovery Unit.

Yes, I gave my dream of digging for artifacts and discovering ruins up for a more prestigious job. To care, to provide support and promote hope to patients and their families. I have become an ambassador of the present and a cheerleader for the future: I became a nurse.

I do not regret choosing a different profession. It may be stressful, burdensome and tiring at times but at the end of the day, I just expel that sigh of relief; thankful that I work in a hospital with doctors, nurses and other non-medical professionals  to save lives, heal the sick, support the dying and promote overall health.

Nursing is a calling and I have been called.














No comments:

Post a Comment